Dear All,

            I am new in Poly/ML and doing a my final year project combine
with Motif.
            OS: Ubuntu 9.10 and running in VMware work station 6.5.1

Question 1: get error when run "open XWindows"
                 "Error-Structure (XWindows) has not been declared Found
near open XWindows
Static Errors"

Details:
           Motif version: lesstif
           The installation process is :
           Using "Source Code" and unzip, then:
          1. ./configure
          2. make
          3. sudo make install

then run "poly",
then got the error when run
> open XWindows;
Error-Structure (XWindows) has not been declared Found near open XWindows
Static Errors
> open Motif;
Error-Structure (Motif) has not been declared Found near open Motif
Static Errors

Is this means I did not install/configure the Motif properly?

However if I run "motif-config", it has the command in the environment , so
I assume the motif is actually correct,
Can any one help me to have a look at it.

pei...@peisen-v-laptop:~/Downloads/lesstif-0.95.2/test/Xm$ motif-config
Usage: motif-config [OPTIONS] [LIBRARIES]
    [--prefix[=DIR]]
    [--exec-prefix[=DIR]]
    [--version]
    [--libs]
    [--cflags]
Libraries:
    Xm
pei...@peisen-v-laptop:~/Downloads/lesstif-0.95.2/test/Xm$

Is there something like JAVA has to be set up the path so that the system
will know where the library ?
If so,how to do it?

Question 2
Is there any official processes can actually run the Motif by using Poly/ML
compiler?

Please help me to specify the processes because I am new in this area and
not really familiar with Linux System. Just one minor error sometime might
cost me hours to fix it. Really appreciate if you can help me with this.

Better tell me exactly how to run the .sml file:
The codes are :

open XWindows ;
open Motif ;
val XtAppInitialise: string -> string -> string ->
                         string list -> Arg list -> Widget
val shell =
    XtAppInitialise "" "xed" "Editor" [] [XmNwidth 400, XmNheight 400] ;

val XmCreate<...>: Widget -> string -> Arg list -> Widget

val main = XmCreateMainWindow shell "main" [] ;

val bar = XmCreateMenuBar main "bar" [] ;

val fileMenu = XmCreateCascadeButton bar "file" [XmNlabelString "File"] ;
val editMenu = XmCreateCascadeButton bar "edit" [XmNlabelString "Edit"] ;
val viewMenu = XmCreateCascadeButton bar "view" [XmNlabelString "View"] ;
val helpMenu = XmCreateCascadeButton bar "help" [XmNlabelString "Help"] ;

val command = XmCreateText main "command" [XmNeditMode XmSINGLE_LINE_EDIT] ;

val hscroll = XmCreateScrollBar main "hscroll" [XmNorientation XmHORIZONTAL]
;
val vscroll = XmCreateScrollBar main "vscroll" [XmNorientation XmVERTICAL] ;

val work = XmCreateDrawingArea main "work" [] ;

Thank you very very much!

Sincerely Yours,

--
Peisen Yang