I don't want to discourage you but you've asked some rather basic questions along with some more advanced ones. You might benefit from looking at a book on the language. I'll try to give a quick answer to your questions.

Question 1: get error when run "open XWindows"
                 "Error-Structure (XWindows) has not been declared Found
          1. ./configure

Download svn version 932.  This has a fix to run Motif with multi-threading.

svn co -r 932 \
  https://polyml.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/polyml/trunk/polyml polyml

You need
    ./configure --with-x
here.  Poly/ML now requires you to include X/Motif explicitly.
Better tell me exactly how to run the .sml file:

Put this into a file (foo.sml), run "poly" and then, at the ">" prompt type
use "foo.sml";

David