On Thu, 11 Dec 2014, Peter Gammie wrote:

On 11 Dec 2014, at 4:14, Makarius <makar...@sketis.net> wrote:

I don’t "hack" on Isabelle/Pure, but edit it carefully and thoughtfully, using plain jEdit with its static ML mode.

Sounds like I might as well use emacs rather than “plain jEdit with its static ML mode” for this purpose.

I did this myself until 2006 and then switched to jEdit. After 2 weeks of unlearning ESCAPE-META-ALT-CONTROL-SHIFT I became much more productive with the new editor. Then I set out to make a full-scale IDE based on it: 8 years later it is there.

It is still not possible to load this ML bootstrap environment of Isabelle into Isabelle/PIDE, though. There are some partial solutions to that: many ML modules of Isabelle/Pure can be loaded individually into the Prover IDE via ML_file in Pure.thy.

So, err, if my little project is more like the “ML bootstrap environment of Isabelle” and less like “many modules of Isabelle/Pure” then “the Prover IDE” is not going to help me, is it?

As I said, the Prover IDE can load many modules of Isabelle/Pure later on, as a second copy within the context of Pure.thy. I still wonder how relevant this is for users of PIDE for general ML development, even for users of Isabelle. As a user of Linux I also don't edit the kernel sources, neither do I "hack" on it.

Below Pure.thy several delicate bootstrap stages turn the raw ML system into something that can then support user-space Isabelle/ML, and now also regular Standard ML.

So I think we run the risk of the no true Scotsman fallacy here. One could argue that Isabelle is not an SML program (ah, I note you said it was the “largest ML program that I know of”).

Isabelle/Pure is definitely not an SML program. I usually say "ML" in a general sense, and "SML" in the specific sense of SML'97.

The "largest ML program that I know of" was referring to Isabelle/HOL: it is an application of Isabelle/ML with Pure.thy as starting point.

        Makarius