David,

Many thanks for the quick turn round on these issues. I have got quite a bit
further.
The ProofPower build is now failing as a result of the following issue:

5) In string comparisons, the leading character is being treated as negative
if it has character code greater than 127:

E.g.,

> "\128" < "\000";
val it = true: bool
> "\128a" < "\000a";
val it = true: bool

Character comparisons are OK:

> #"\128" < #"\000";
val it = false: bool

(This is on Mac OS X after building Poly/ML with Apple's Xcode tool chain.)

Regards,

Rob.