Rob,
The complication is that the pretty print datatype is essentially shared between the compiler and the compiled code. If the compiler has been compiled with a different length of int from the user code there's the potential for confusion. The compiler builds default print functions for types and I was trying to ensure that both sides had the same understanding.

It may be that it isn't a problem.  I'll think about this some more.

The "datatype" definition in PRETTYSIG.sml is commented out. The "constructors" actually use FixedInt.int.

Regards,
David