On 15/12/2017 16:15, Makarius wrote:
On 12/12/17 14:14, David Matthews wrote:
The polyc script has been developed mainly to simplify the linking of an
exported ML function and in particular to try to capture the libraries
that need to be included.  I've been having another look at this because
of an issue that was reported a while back.

Here are some further observations and open problems from the past:

   * The polyc script cannot handle directory names with spaces, e.g. the
main "prefix".

I guess it would need some extra quotation.  Do you want to propose a fix?

   * Instead of insisting in hardwired directory locations it should be
possible to refer to the relative location of the polyc itself.  In GNU
bash I am using THIS="$(cd "$(dirname "$0")"; pwd)" -- it is unclear to
me how to do it in /bin/sh.

The paths are set from the installation directories in configure i.e. where the binaries and libraries are to be installed. It's possible to set the library and binary directories independently so there's no necessary relationship between them.

   * Use of libgmp on Mac OS X is generally unclear to me. Is there a
robust way to build poly with gmp on an old OS version (e.g. Mac OS X
10.10) and use it on a newer one? Is there any chance to do this with
x86 instead of x86_64?

There have been problems with linking libgmp and Poly/ML on Mac OS X in the past. Is there someone who uses Mac OS who could answer this?

David