On Monday, July 30, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Anssi Johansson wrote:
> However, the "average" is the important word here as there will be
> traffic bursts. The traffic bursts will only become less frequent when
> more servers are added, but it won't reduce the peak values. This is
> because most traffic from Turkey originates from SNTP clients which
> resolve the NTP server's IP every time the pool is queried, ie. unlike
> ntpd which only resolves the hostname once and keeps using that IP
> address until ntpd is restarted. Another concern is that I think the
> offending Turk Telekom CPE is using only pool.ntp.org (http://pool.ntp.org),
> not any of the
> subdomains [0-3].pool.ntp.org (http://pool.ntp.org). The traffic would be
> spread more evenly
> if the [0-3] subdomains were used.

… and I wouldn't be surprised if many/most of the clients are using a few DNS
resolvers. If the spikes don't get significantly less with the extra servers
added I can try making the tr zone return 4-6 IPs instead of just 3.  (I forget
if the DNS server can be configured for that on the name level though).

Ask

--
http://askask.com/ | http://www.ntppool.org/