[Sorry for the second email, it appears my SiFive email doesn't want to subscribe to porters-dev.]

RISC-V is an open standard ISA stewarded by the RISC-V foundation <http://riscv.org>. With the recent release of glibc 2.27 we now have the full RISC-V software base released from the various upstream repositories, which means it's time to start moving forward with the rest of the software stack. I ran into Erik at FOSDEM a few days ago and he suggested that we open up the discussion of an OpenJDK port for RISC-V. While I'm not familiar with the RISC-V Java efforts, I did part of a Hotspot port (a bit of the template interpreter and much of C2) to Tilera's TilePro and TileGx architectures a few years ago so I know a bit about the OpenJDK internals.

In the RISC-V community we view Java as a very important missing component of the software ecosystem, so I was thrilled when Erik found me at FOSDMEM and suggested there was community interest in a port. Unfortunately, I won't have time to properly help out with the port (I'm maintaining Linux, as well as co-maintaining binutils, GCC, and glibc). That said, I'd be very happy to help out where I can. I think a good way to move forward might be to:

* Create a project to own the RISC-V port, which is what this email is about. I'm OK being the project lead, at least until we find someone who will have * Clean up our libffi port and submit it upstream. Stefan O'Rear is in the process of submitting the port now, so it should all be moving smoothly soon. Submit patches for our Zero port. While I didn't do the port I don't mind cleaning it up and submitting it. I've added Martin who was more involved with the original port. I think he's not working on RISC-V stuff now that he's at Google, though. * Move forward with a proper OpenJDK port, starting with the template interpreter and eventually adding C2. I'm not sure if C1 is actually deprecated, but we decided not to bother with it at Tilera because it didn't seem worth the extra effort at the time. Of course, this would be up to whomever is actually doing the work :).

There appears to be considerable community interest in a RISC-V OpenJDK port, so my hope is that while I don't have time to directly contribute much myself that we'll be able to get something sane up and running. Interested users can test on QEMU, and we've recently announced a board (and associated beta program that provide free boards to open source developers) so there's some hardware to run on as well.

I'd like to request that the Porters Group sponsors this project with me as the lead.

Thanks!