* frantisek holop [2005-11-26]:
> call me old fashioned but no_x11 for me means not havint to
> install any x*.tgz sets.

That's the idea.

> now, of course it's not a huge problem for me to install xbase, it's
> just that this "consensus" was never really publicized here before, at
> least i haven't seen.

We don't write reports. I think Alek and Matthieu mentioned it recently
as well.

> maybe it's just me, i was making incorrect assumptions about
> what no_x11 means.

Your assumptions are correct. teTeX_base,no_x11 is broken in that regard
and installing xbase is a workaround.

> and if this is the way it will be, wouldn't it be a good idea to make
> an xlib38.tgz which would hold only the libs and nothing else, after
> all, isn't it the security mantra that don't install anything you
> won't use, and xbase is full of binaries which will be never used on a
> firewall?

If you have enough disk space on your firewall/server, just install
xbase and be done. If you don't have the space, you are on your own
anyways and can just as well pull tetex/base/Makefile from -current and
build your own package with a correct no_x11 FLAVOR.

Now I need to get back to porting...

Nikolay