hmm, on Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 10:45:06PM +0100, Nikolay Sturm said that
> > maybe it's just me, i was making incorrect assumptions about
> > what no_x11 means.
>
> Your assumptions are correct. teTeX_base,no_x11 is broken in that regard
> and installing xbase is a workaround.
>
> > and if this is the way it will be, wouldn't it be a good idea to make
> > an xlib38.tgz which would hold only the libs and nothing else, after
> > all, isn't it the security mantra that don't install anything you
> > won't use, and xbase is full of binaries which will be never used on a
> > firewall?
>
> If you have enough disk space on your firewall/server, just install
> xbase and be done. If you don't have the space, you are on your own
> anyways and can just as well pull tetex/base/Makefile from -current and
> build your own package with a correct no_x11 FLAVOR.

you put it as if teTeX was(before being fixed) the only case..
and of course teTeX is not really a firewall "required" program.

when i said firewall, i rather meant packages like
rrdtools (which at one point also need xbase)
or other reporting tools needing x11 libs but
really needing x11.

-f
--
sex is not the answer.  sex is the question.  "yes" is the answer.