On Thursday 20 April 2006 8:12 am, Edd Barrett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of my friends recently pointed out that FreeBSD are distributing
> Java 5 binaries and actually are licensed to do so from Sun
> Microsystems! I'm not sure how long thats been happening, but has
> anyone made any effort to try to bag a similar agreement for OpenBSD?
> If not I am willing to give it a try (with the consent of the OBSD
> developers). I think have an email address of a Java Core developer I
> met at JavaUK06.

There are two primary reasons why we will not be able
to distribute java binaries:

1) Legal: The OpenBSD project is a collection of individuals.
There is no legal entity associated with the project like a
Foundation or non-profit org. That means there is no singal
point of contact for Sun to contract with and shield the
developers from liability.

2) Political: Even if #1 were solved, the binaries would
come with a binary only license that is incompatible with
the projects goals.

On the other hand, I have applied as an individual to Sun's
scholarship program to get access to the test kit for 1.5
(JCK). I was approved by the scholarship committee and now
waiting on Sun to get them.

-Kurt