On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 06:56:13AM -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 04:02:04PM +0300, Sideris Michael wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 12:08:33PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> > > Don't waste too much time perfecting this.
> >
> > I do not. I am aware of the fact that this cannot be merged with the
> > rest of system the way it is. But if there are any bugs I would like to
> > fix them.
> >
> > > The right approach is to have pkg_add tag packages that the user really
> > > installed vs. stuff that is needed for dependencies. It's in my queue
> > > of things to do.
> >
> > Well, yeah. But the thing is that when you have a system with ~100
> > packages already installed how is this tagging technique going to work?
> > In a fresh system I would totally agree with your approach. My way is
> > more dynamic though.  And you have to admit that it works quite fast as
> > well. Anyway, it is merely a way of providing extra information for the
> > packages you are planning to remove. So, until you implement your idea
> > of tagging packages I will be using this. Whoever is going to use it
> > though, send feedback whenever appropriate.
>
> And of course there are common situations that neither approach handles
> very well. If I install openldap-server it will install openldap-client
> as a dependancy. If I later uninstall openldap-server I may need to keep
> openldap-client. Or not. So deleting package dependancies should not be
> fully automated.
>
> Perhaps in addition to pkg_add tagging as above, there could be a way to
> manually tag packages as explicity installed...

Consider this. You install openldap-server and openldap-client installs
as a dependency. You decide to uninstall openldap-server using something
like:

pkg_delete -F clean openldap-server

The system presents you with the dependencies that are not needed by any
other package on the system. It asks you whether you want to delete all
of them or delete them interactively, waiting for confirmation on every
package. Using the interactive method you may keep the packages that are
of your interest. In my opinion, a combination of something like that
and the feature I provide through my script, coded in Perl and
integrated with pkg_delete(1) of course, would be a good solution here.

--
Sideris Michael
http://black.daemons.gr/msid/