On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 03:59:23PM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Ryan Freeman:
>
> > From FreeBSD, a bit hard to follow as their commit (re)touched the
> > original patches
> >
> > Once this builds, the game doesn't seem very playable.
>
> I already looked at this.  If you build it with -fcommon, it already
> isn't playable.  That needs to be fixed first--or the port should
> be removed.
>
> This is a case where the no-common fix is not obvious.  If you look
> at the code, the intent appears to have been to have local waitMode
> variables in each module.  However, they are all merged into a
> single common.
>
> If you follow the likely intent, the different instances of waitMode
> should be declared static.  However, it's entirely possible that
> the game logic has come to rely on the accidental merging of the
> variables.  So this needs testing... for which the game needs to
> be playable in the first place.
That makes me tend towards simply removing the port (as sthen suggests).

Fixing actually used ports is one thing but spending valuable porter's
time on life support for such cruft seems more like a burden to me.

OK kn to remove this, although I certainly do not object to fixing it
if someone wants to do the legwork -- it just seems unreasonable to me
(if done by people who only fix it "to fix the tree").