On Sun, Jan 08 2023, Daniel Dickman <didick...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 8, 2023, at 11:59 AM, Omar Polo <o...@omarpolo.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2023/01/08 16:25:16 +0100, Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas <j...@wxcvbn.org>
>> wrote:
>>> https://wxcvbn.org/~jca/build-failures/amd64-clang/2023-01-03/devel/fnc.txt
>>
>> fails building the bundled sqlite3 copy because of:
>>
>> : lib/sqlite3.c:57910:7: error: variable 'nUri' set but not used
>> [-Werror,-Wunused-but-set-variable]
>> :   int nUri = 0;            /* Number of URI parameters */
>> :       ^
>> : 1 error generated.
>>
>> don't have the newer clang here yet but this should fix the build.
>>
>> ok?
>

> Instead of removing error, would turning off the specific check work instead?
> ie. Add
>
> -Wno-unused-but-set-variable

I'm not sure how you are asking: op@ the OP, sdk@ (maintainer) or me,
but I'll reply anyway.  As for me, I'm perfectly happy with
dropping -Werror in this port, and more generally in any port.  My
opinion is that -Werror in ports mostly written on other operating
systems wastes porters time.

If a maintainer wants to keep -Werror, then he gets to keep the pieces
when the port breaks.  For devel/fnc, Stefan is the maintainer, so he
gets the last word.

But if a port has no maintainer, and we strive to keep on using -Werror,
who's going to fix the port the next time it breaks?  Should we add
a MAINTAINER-Werror variable?

Don't get me wrong, compiler warnings are usually useful, and -Werror
*sometimes* has value.  But the ports tree is a deep jungle with lots of
weird animals in it.

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE