Thanks for picking this up, Stuart, and for handling the re-add and quirks parts. Your tweaks look good to me. I'll be around to fix it if it breaks for at least the foreseeable future, I just can't commit to full MAINTAINERship.

---

Thanks,

Jaxi

On 9/15/26 9:37 AM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2026/09/14 00:29, jaxi wrote:
Hi @ports,

Just pinging once again on Ren'Py.

---

Thanks,

Jaxi

On 8/31/26 11:46 AM, Jaxi Wise wrote:
Hi,
Gentle ping on this one. The port I sent on 2026-08-12 still applies
to a current snapshot.
Re-tested today: builds from scratch, packages,
installs and deinstalls cleanly, renpy the_question lint passes, and
the launcher runs with audio and save/load (tested across multiple vns
from different developers).
Any takers for a look, or an ok?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks,
Jaxi


On August 12, 2026 10:19:53 PM EDT, jaxi <[email protected]> wrote:

     Hi, Attached is a new port of Ren'Py 8.5.3, the visual novel
     engine. https://www.renpy.org/ games/renpy was removed on
     2025-10-18 ("remove py2-only ports/games/renpy (has been marked
     BROKEN for over a year with no interest) and pygame_sdl2 (only
     used by renpy); upstream has a newer version supporting Python 3
     and newer Cython if someone wants to readd it"). This is that
     re-add: upstream is Python 3 with current Cython, and pygame_sdl2
     has been absorbed into the Ren'Py tree, so it is a single port
     now, with no pygame_sdl2 to bring back. Notes: - One build
     workaround: upstream's setup.py derives CFLAGS/LDFLAGS from
     pkg-config but never CXXFLAGS, so the single C++ module misses the
     SDL2 include path; the port adds the pkg-config cflags via
     CPPFLAGS in do-build. Already fixed properly upstream, so this
     disappears at the next release update. - One patch: a backport of
     upstream's fix for Python 3.14 (where functools.partial became a
     method descriptor), without which any save/persistent file
     containing a datetime fails to unpickle. - The launcher, template
     projects and bundled games are installed under share/renpy,
     following the old port's layout. Tested on amd64/-current (Intel
     HD 6000): builds from scratch, packages, installs and deinstalls
     cleanly; `renpy the_question lint` passes headless from the
     installed package; the launcher runs under X from the installed
     package with working audio and save/load. Full commercial Ren'Py
     games run start to finish on the same machine and engine version.
     Known limitation: Ren'Py's optional Live2D animation support
     cannot work on OpenBSD (it needs Live2D Cubism Core, a proprietary
     binary-only library with no BSD build). This affects a subset of
     commercial games. Noted in pkg/README. I am not able to commit to
     being MAINTAINER right now, so I have left it unset. I'll be happy
     if someone wants to take it. I will fix anything that comes up
     during review.
     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Thank you, Jaxi Wise

I'm not entirely thrilled about adding more things that explicitly run
a setuptools setup.py rather than use the standard pybuild infrastructure
after I spent a bunch of time getting rid of others (there are only a
handful left), but I tried and it seems quite resistant to doing
things properly. So I guess we can do that, though I won't spend much
time trying to fix if a setuptools update breaks things.

Updated with some small tweaks; remove ${MODPY_FLAVOR} and remove
*.${PATCHORIG} instead of hardcoded *.orig.port.

Done as a cvs diff with the required quirks part etc because it's a
re-add rather than an import. Any OKs to re-add? *diff removed for length*

Reply via email to