On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:25:35AM +0100, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> > > No, please. I have ports only run_depending on plugins-good-main and
> > > working fine. No need for gconf here.
> >
> > I expect there are more ports that are currently broken without it ...
>
> Actually, there should not be that much. I did fix several in the
> past.

I'm a bit more skeptical.  look at rhythmbox's RUN_DEPENDS for example.
the packages-specs are all wrong.  the package names are the base
packages but then the package paths specify subpackages.

> The thing is that gstreamer was not meant to be splitted that way

I agree, there is too much subpackaging in gstreamer.

> so when porting a application that uses gst components, maintainer
> should remove all gst-plugins-* and see what is really needed for proper
> work.

yes, but that doesn't seem to have happened.

> Anyway, I'd also be happy if -gconf was part of the main package,
> but I will not fight objections...
>
> Anyway, about vagalume, are you guys certain it actually *needs* -gconf?

I think anything that already uses gconf and gstreamer will need
that.  and since it doesn't add any more dependencies ...

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org