On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 02:42:33PM +0000, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 10:20:40AM +0100, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 04:10:48PM +0000, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> > > I wonder if these problems would go away if jack support were dropped
> > > from portaudio.  only working with 32-bit sounds suspicious.
> > >

> > that's easy to check by disabling it, I'll try it..
> >
> > AFAIU, ALSA supports any format and seldom triggers
> > conversion code of audacity and/or portaudio.
> >
> > sndio backend uses sio_getacap() to return native parameters
> > and lets portaudio/audacity do the necessary conversions,
> > since it claims it can. As far as I understand portaudio
> > internals, this is the ``right thing''. So I bet we trigger
> > various bugs.
> >
> > I don't exclude there's a bug in sndio backend though.  But,
> > I wonder whether we shouldn't just claim that any format is
> > supported and stop using sio_getcap() here.
>
> that might cause other problems if aucat isn't used?

that shouldn't be a problem. Portaudio exposes the result of
sio_getpar() to allow the app to display a nice drop-down
list with the supported parameters.

But if sio_setpar() fails, it will setup the appropriate
conversion layer.

AFAIU, audacity is misusing this mechanism. Not sure yet.
I'm trying this right now...

> maybe there
> should be another arg for sio_getcap(), to choose between "native"
> and "usable" paramters?

yeah, if we keep using sio_getcap() this seems necessary.

-- Alexandre