On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:09:12AM +0200, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Jun 13 23:51:25, Jacob Meuser wrote:

> > > When this mesaage was recent, I downloaded and built these.
> > > However, liblo, liblrdf and ardour still don't seem to be
> > > in the current ports tree. Is there another place to get more
> > > recent versions (beside the source)? The above links
> > > don't work anymore.
> > >
> > > More generally, what is the status of ardour now?
> >
> > it's waiting at least until i386 switches to gcc4.  then I'll
> > reevaluate if it's worth pursuing again.  unfortunately, while
> > I can get it *mostly* working, it has some issues (in complicated
> > C++ code I don't yet 100% understand) that make it annoying to
> > use.  as in, it usually crashes at least once trying to do basic
> > import/editing/export.  crashes in the import/exportstage are
> > really super annoying, since I can edit fine :/
>
> Same here. I can record, mix, and edit a 20-track session,
> but then an attempt to export it makes ardour freeze and
> _jack_ dumps core (destroying the feeling of artistic achievement).
> That happens with any export parameters.

it has worked for me with UP kernels, but I've never had it work with
MP kernels.

export uses jackd in "freewheel" mode.  afaics, it doesn't know when
it should stop processing.

> Meanwhile, what are people using as their semi-pro multitrack
> recording software? (Please don't say audacity.)

well, you can do the actual recording and basic mixing with aucat.
but yes, there isn't much choice for full-featured post-processing.

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org