On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:53:21AM +0200, Eric Faurot wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:18:01AM +0100, Federico G. Schwindt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   New day new diff. Move things to WRKDIR to avoid warnings during plist
> > generation reported by r...@.
> >   While I was here also change how bad eggs are handled to avoid warnings
> > and to allow make clean to run as a regular user. Tested with py-urwid,
> > py-cheetah and py-distutils-extra.
> >   Comments? OK to individual pieces or the whole welcome.
>
> I am not fiercely opposed to these changes, but 2 comments though:
>
> About the MODPY_JSON thing. Shouldn't it be handled per-port where
> needed?  I am not quite sure what is the point of trying to add a
> pseudo-"backward compatibility" hack in the infrastructure, when we
> now moved to 2.6 anyway. Especially for something like json, which
> sounds very anecdotal.

  Well, 2.5 is still in the tree. If we all agree that ports should not
care about 2.5 anymore we can drop that completely. If not, we can either
have it on by port basis or centralised. For me centralised feels more
natural and avoid duplications and hides python internals to the outside
world. YMMV.

> About the egg thing (I hate them, I am disgusted at the farce python
> has turned into wrt to packaging).  How about simply adding setuptools
> unconditionnally as a BUILD_DEPENDS for all python modules? Would that
> really hurt?

  Are you referring to the bad eggs or the hack to detect ports relying on
either setuptools or distutils?  Anyhow, you'll need RUN_DEPENDS as well.
  We could add it to the base python too. Any of these approaches will
require another set of bumps. Dunno to be honest.

  f.-