On 2010/09/15 11:53, Eric Faurot wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:18:01AM +0100, Federico G. Schwindt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   New day new diff. Move things to WRKDIR to avoid warnings during plist
> > generation reported by r...@.
> >   While I was here also change how bad eggs are handled to avoid warnings
> > and to allow make clean to run as a regular user. Tested with py-urwid,
> > py-cheetah and py-distutils-extra.
> >   Comments? OK to individual pieces or the whole welcome.
>
> I am not fiercely opposed to these changes, but 2 comments though:
>
> About the MODPY_JSON thing. Shouldn't it be handled per-port where
> needed?  I am not quite sure what is the point of trying to add a
> pseudo-"backward compatibility" hack in the infrastructure, when we
> now moved to 2.6 anyway. Especially for something like json, which
> sounds very anecdotal.

This would still be done per-port, you would set ${MODPY_JSON} in
the dependency list, and the module would take care of whether to
populate the variable. Saves doing the ".if MODPY_VERSION < 2.6"
dance in every port that needs it.

> About the egg thing (I hate them, I am disgusted at the farce python
> has turned into wrt to packaging).  How about simply adding setuptools
> unconditionnally as a BUILD_DEPENDS for all python modules? Would that
> really hurt?

It needs to be RUN_DEPENDS too. It wouldn't really hurt but, well,
the people who end up actually doing the package bumps got a bit
bored of it by now... and this method gives a clear and simple
error message.