On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 05:27:04PM -0700, onteria wrote:
> As an update to the building of kde4 side by side with kde3, as well as
> getting it to run side by side, I've so far found the following:
>
> 1) Looking at FreeBSD, the kde4 problem is solved by installation of
> kde4 into /usr/local/kde4

No way, sorry but that's utterly gross. FreeBSD doing things like this
is not a reason for it being a good idea. Besides, the existing kde4 we
have in tree uses the correct layout.

> Packages will need to have WANTLIB updated for KDE4 libs, such as the
> following example with kde-base:
>
> WANTLIB += GL GLU ICE SM X11 Xau Xdmcp Xext Xft Xpm Xrender Xt \
>       cglib-2.0 kde4/lib/kde3support kde4/lib/kdecore.>=8 \
>       kde4/lib/kdesu kde4/lib/kdeui \

Once you'll be at WANTLIB fixes, that means most of the work is done. In
the meantime, don't really bother with it.. concentrate on runtime
issue/crashes/linuxisms in code..

> Please note that if we want to do divisions of directory structure such
> as:
>
> /usr/local/lib/kde4
> /usr/local/include/kde4
> /usr/local/bin/kde4
>
> etc., that this could potentially add a large level of complexity to the
> process. Unlike Qt3/4 I don't think the build system easily allows that
> level of breaking down.

It surely allows that.

Landry