On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:29:52AM -0600, Amit Kulkarni wrote:

> > I'm not sure kde4 can replace that on every architecture. kde4 was created
> > later, and it's going to use functionalities that might be hard to achieve
> > on older platforms. For instance, all of kde games have switched from
> > bitmaps to SVG. I'm not sure that's reasonable for old platforms.
>
> some are going to be dropped, we will find out when it goes through
> bulk. if the platform doesn't support .xz distfiles, cmake and qt4
> then its unsupported. it all compile in 1G datasize, not astronomical
> like firefox, and old rakudo.

You can figure that out for yourself instead of speculating.

Like: check the release directories for 5.1/5.2. What arches have qt3
and kde3 ? what arches don't have xz ? is this an actual problem ?

> unfortunately very much added work. some options:
Duh. Why do you think we didn't move to kde4 so far.
Answer: both because it was unstable until about kde 4.4, and also because
there IS work to be done.

> 1) adjust kde3 with /usr/local/kde3/* (i.e include, libs, bin) + have
> kde4 with /usr/local/kde4/*. both independent. is it too hard to add
> this for kde3?
I don't know. You tell me.

> 2) move to trinity with /usr/local/trinity/*, adjust the quirks and
> provide an upgrade path for kde3 + have kde4 with /usr/local/kde4/*.
> both independent.

Depends on having trinity up and running.

> 3) add tde (/usr/local/tde/*) + kde4 (/usr/local/kde4/*) + kde3
> (/usr/local/kde3/*), then remove kde3 after sometime, providing
> upgrade for kde3 users. all independent.

probably desireable.

> what about the problem of incompatibility for kde3 -> kde4 or tde -> kde4?

I don't know. You tell me how much incompatibility there is.

> keep in mind, future kde5 is released late next year it should have
> /usr/local/kde5/*?
I'm not at all sure kde5 will be THAT incompatible to kde4.

> > - try to arrange kde4/kde3/trinity to give it a chance to build
> > concurrently.
> > Preferably before import, as it's much easier to do these changes before
> > import.
>
> this implies option 3 above: all should be built concurrently.

Ideally, yes. At least make an effort to make that work. If it turns out
to be impossible, we'll deal. But we should at least try that.