On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 09:04:40PM +0300, Vadim Zhukov wrote:
> >From the other side, slower archs probably will use XFCE, LXDE or
> something custom... Unfortunately I do not have access to anything but
> i386 now. :(
I know some people who are "just" using konqueror from kde3 for quick
browsing on simple sites. I'm not kidding. It's still a very fast all-purpose
browser.

> >> 1) adjust kde3 with /usr/local/kde3/* (i.e include, libs, bin) + have
> >> kde4 with /usr/local/kde4/*. both independent. is it too hard to add
> >> this for kde3?
> > I don't know. You tell me.
>
> Not too hard for KDE 4. But I still hope to find better way than this
> "/opt"-ism.
>
> My personal goal is to make KDE 4 co-build with KDE 3, and to make
> libs and pimlibs from KDE 4 co-exist with KDE 3. But I didn't even
> started moving in that direction, there is too much other work.

I did a bit of that work, like actually moving the kde3 libs out of the
way into /usr/local/lib/kde3... having kde3 use libtool also helps picking
up the right libraries (I have to fix the one kde package that still wants
gnu libtool though).

I won't object to *finishing* that in tree *if we have a plan*. That means,
preferably import the kde4 parts after the directories are mapped out so
that there's little conflict with kde3.

> I have some crazy ideas like porting KDE3 to CMake, but before talking
> loud about them sound I should try to try starting myself.

No, that's crazy. You said trinity was hard to do. Changing kde3 to cmake
more or less requires redoing what the kde people did between kde3 and kde4
and that was a LOT of work.

*most* of the autoconf stuff in kde3 is reasonably easy to move around. It
may require testing, obviously...