On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 05:25:57PM -0700, Jeremy Evans wrote:
> On 06/28 07:49, Eric Radman wrote:
> > Since 9.3 doesn't depend on SysV shared memory, we can simplify
> > README-server a bit
>
> Are you sure the changes to SysV shared memory affect the SysV
> semaphore situation?  I already modified the README for the SysV shared
> memory differences. Comparing the following two pages:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/kernel-resources.html
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/kernel-resources.html
>
> It looks like the semaphore situation hasn't changed.

Sorry, you are correct. I hadn't read the release notes carefully, and if I
crank up max_connections the error log is informative

FATAL:  could not create semaphores: No space left on device
DETAIL:  Failed system call was semget(5432004, 17, 03600).
HINT:  This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.  It
occurs when either the system limit for the maximum number of semaphore sets
(SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of semaphores (SEMMNS), would be
exceeded.  You need to raise the respective kernel parameter.  Alternatively,
reduce PostgreSQL's consumption of semaphores by reducing its max_connections
parameter.