Attached is another update based on your feedback:

> Just some nitpicks:
>
> Not quite with the @sample.
> vit-commands is supposed to live in /etc, right?

Yeah, I completely messed that up, but I don't think that file belongs in /etc
or /usr/local/etc.  It is only used for the help display inside vit; it's not
actually a configuration file (e.g. changing the keys assigned to functions
doesn't actually change the keymappings in vit).

In this version I install commands to ${PREFIX}/share/vit/commands, and added a
patch for vit.pl to look there when the user enters :help.  I'm not @sample'ing
it because there's really no point in users editing it.  Whaddya think?

> While it's not wrong, I think I'd prefer the first line of the
> do-install use WRKSRC instead of WRKBUILD; for consistency if nothing else.

Done.

> Besides that, it looks good to me and seems to work from my (admittedly
> light) testing - caveat from your first mail heeded - perhaps that
> should be added to the README if not resolved in a timely manner.

Done; I added a patch to README, which is installed to
$PREFIX/share/doc/vit/README.