Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse said:
> Blergh. Would it be possible to talk to upstream to use something halfwhat
> decent like cmake or even scons if they're into SM?

I tried, but they apparently love waf.  Looking at their wscript and
corresponding infrastructure I would say that investing that much time
into this horrific build system they just can't abandon it.

> Removing waf was an intentional decision in the sense that it's a horrible
> "build" system. Putting it back is one thing, adding a module again is
> adding insult to injury IMHO.

Well, the idea was to allow setting CONFIGURE_STYLE=waf instead of
do-configure, do-build and do-install targets.  The module is supposed
to be useful for ports that bundle waf.  As a side effect, it allows
enabling/disabling color output, which is useful during mpv update but
won't be appreciated by bulk builders.

> If upstream doesn't bundle waf, then it'd be highly appreciated if you could
> either:
> - convince them to do so

I am trying.

Antoine Jacoutot said:
> Can't we just bundle it at build time (i.e. at it to distfiles and add
> some glue)?

Mpv is distributed only via github, so adding anything to distfiles
requires abandoning GH_* framework.  I'd rather maintain a fork with
bundled waf in my github account.  Would that work for you?

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff