On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 08:36:24AM +0100, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 08:13:23AM +0100, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Attached diff updates multimedia/mpv to version 0.15.0.  Starting from
> > this release mpv does not include old build infrastructure, so waf (!)
> > becomes absolutely required to build this port.
> >
> > In theory waf is supposed to be included with software.  For some reason
> > mpv people don't do so - they provide a script for fetching waf at
> > configure stage.  Thus I also include a port for waf.  The port contains
> > a module, which is supposed to be useful for waf-based ports.
> Blergh. Would it be possible to talk to upstream to use something halfwhat
> decent like cmake or even scons if they're into SM?
>
> Removing waf was an intentional decision in the sense that it's a horrible
> "build" system. Putting it back is one thing, adding a module again is
> adding insult to injury IMHO.

I still have nightmares just thinking about waf.

Reading https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/DOCS/waf-buildsystem.rst,
it seems they took waf, and built something on top of it, extending it.
I dont even..  Hell, using jam or scons would be less horrible.
Looking at https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/2710 they even seem
hostile to the BSDs.

Just put the darn waf tarball in DISTFILES, and yell at them.

Landry