On 2016-03-21 21:28:17, Peter Kane <pwk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 06:59:18PM +1300, Peter Kane wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the detailed notes. I'll give it another go shortly.
> >
> > Peter
>
> OK, I take it all back, partly.
>
> At first it wasn't working at all but after a few or more Xorg restarts it
> began to show signs of life. I unloaded a lot of the conversion engines that
> I didn't want and added "set encoding=utf-8" in a vimrc file. However, the
> uim-toolbar-gtk often doesn't launch properly on startup for me so I have to
> wait a while and try again (I would just get a preferences icon). The
> keyboard switching also seemed erratic and laggy. The anthy part runs as
> root.
>
> On the whole it wasn't a great user experience, but jvim isn't really any
> better. Maybe I can refine the settings further to make it better. Thanks
> again.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what advice to offer.  For me,
switching between input methods is nigh instantaneous.  I also
don't have any anthy processes running according to pgrep or top;
UIM handles connections to it internally.

Can you post your entire .xinitrc file?  Obviously redacting any
information that needs to be.

Also, can you try the following:

1) Launch uim-pref-gtk
2) Under the first page that opens (Global settings), under
"Advanced settings", does checking/unchecking the "Enable lazy
input method loading for fast startup" have any effect on
anything?

On my setup, that option is checked and I don't have any problems,
but YMMV.

--
Bryan