Hi Edd,

Edd Barrett wrote on Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 05:00:21PM +0100:
> On Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 04:38:49PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:

>> Fix up the above and send a new tarball and I will see if we can put
>> this in for you :)

> Oh, and if I were nitpicking:
>
> $ mandoc -Tlint /usr/local/man/man1/xcape.1
> mandoc: /usr/local/man/man1/xcape.1:31:57: WARNING: whitespace at end of
> input line

That one is actually among the most common WARNINGs you will see
in the ports tree.  Off the top of my head, i'd estimate that the
majority of ports throws that one.  And even in in /usr/src/gnu,
there are almost a thousand of them.

It is not a false positive, though:  In base system pages that we
maintain ourselves, we do fix that.

> But unless it breaks rendering, I wouldn't worry.

I'm not aware of any way how that one could break rendering,
so you certainly don't need to worry.

There is one very exotic case where trailing whitespace is syntactically
significant in the roff(7) language: at the end of .if and .ie request
lines that neither contain controlled content nor \{ nor a trailing
line continuation backslash.  But those are flagged differently:

  WARNING: conditional request controls empty scope: if

There may be a few other case like a after trailing \c, but they are
even more arcane, and if they ever cause trouble in practice, they
should get a different message.

So i should probably downgrade

  WARNING: whitespace at end of input line

to STYLE.

Yours,
  Ingo