On 2018/05/06 12:48, Raul Miller wrote:
> I would like to better understand these concerns.
>
> Coping with other people’s configurations is inherently nondeterministic —
> what’s interesting though are the significant examples. But I have a
> problem thinking up an example where this would break which would not
> already be broken. I imagine you had some in mind?

PATH is under control of the (not-necessarily-sysadmin) user.

If that is set to something not containing /usr/local/bin, it will be broken
with env, but will work if it's patched.

If PATH is set to include a directory containing something called "bash"
ahead of /usr/local/bin then it won't be using the standard version of bash
from packages.

> That said, the point with upstream should not be instant adoption but —
> where it can make sense — the possibility of eventual convergence.
> Shouldn’t it?

Upstream typically wants something that works on many OS without having
to field support requests. OS packagers typically want something that
works consistently regardless of user-settable config.