On 2018/05/09 08:34, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
> On Sun, May 06 2018, Kaashif Hymabaccus <kaas...@kaashif.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 05:51:31PM +0200, Solene Rapenne wrote:
> >>
> >> a TEST_DEPENDS is needed here
> >>

> >> A few changes are needed in pkg/PLIST too
> >>
> >> - remove share/doc/rss2email3/README, because the README from pkg/README
> >>   will be automatically put there-> share/doc/pkg-readmes/${FULLPKGNAME}
> >> - ${MODPY_COMMENT} should be used for directories containing
> >> ${MODPY_PYCACHE}

That's not really needed here, it's python3+ only.

> > Made these changes. Tarball attached.
>
> The port looks good to me, the transition path makes sense I guess...
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. This proposal embeds "3" in the port directory name and the PKGNAME,
>   what is supposed to happen with rss2email-4.0? A new mail/rss2email4
>   port? :)

Has anyone figured out the process needed to move from aaronsw (RIP)'s
rss2email code that we have in ports now to this version? There was a
comment earlier that having the two in tree together made this easier
but no indication how. It would seem sensible to just have a one-time
bump to move across and avoid complexity.

> 2. Right now it's not clear to me who is upstream,
>   https://github.com/wking/rss2email or
> https://github.com/rss2email/rss2email ?
>
>   https://github.com/wking/rss2email is mentioned as upstream in the 3.9
>   release (2014) hosted on pypi.  https://github.com/rss2email/rss2email
>   is mentioned as a possible new upstream in
>   https://github.com/wking/rss2email/issues/105
>   PR opened 9 days ago: https://github.com/rss2email/rss2email/issues/18
>   All I know is that rss2email/rss2email has two more commits than
>   wking/rss2email and transferred some PRs from it.
>
>   I guess it would be nice to sort this out, especially a new release
>   seems warranted, see for example the unreleased fix
>
> https://github.com/wking/rss2email/commit/354543d53e1b2716a416d23614b323d5c96aeee3
>
> https://github.com/rss2email/rss2email/commit/354543d53e1b2716a416d23614b323d5c96aeee3
>
> Thoughts?

There's more activity on the dev branch of rss2email/rss2email, though
it's still not very lively. I'd probably go with whatever's on pypi plus
patches for now but consider switching if the more-active upstream feels
sufficiently confident to make a non-dev release.. But probably worth
monitoring those recently opened issues for a bit first?