Hi Tracey,

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020, Tracey Emery wrote:

> Hello ports,
>
> Attached is a python tool for burning firmware to esp8266 and esp32
> chips. It is a heavily edited version of a port I previously submitted.
>
> devel/py-esptool: A Python-based, open source, platform independent, utility
> to communicate with the ROM bootloader in Espressif ESP8266 & ESP32 chips. The
> py-serial or py3-serial plugins required.
>
> Is anyone willing to Ok and commit?

Find attached a modified version of your port.  It did not build for me
as you sent it, as they were some missing dependencies.  I also made it
py3 only.

I'm working on the tests part now.  This is a bit of a dependency rabbit
hole, but I think it's doable.

I do not have any binary to test burning, but I've tested things like
read_mac and flash_id without success.  I constantly get the error:

  A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out
  waiting for packet header

I'm testing this on a NodeMCU board which has a CH340G chip that appears
as /dev/cuaU0.

I may interrogate you in private about your setup to develop for those
boards on OpenBSD if you don't mind :-P

Cheers,

--
Paco Esteban.