On Wed, Jun 03, 2020 at 11:33:08AM +0200, ale...@mail.com wrote:
> I am working on my first port, and version 0.6.3 broke big endian
> support. The software’s latest version is still broken on big endian.
> The reason for this is stated in the change log as removing endian
> specific code. The software compiles fine but  does not function
> correctly, giving errors.
>
> Version 0.6.2 works on big endian, which is what I’ll be using this
> software on a lot.
If you worked on a 0.6.2 port and 0.6.3 gets out before your port
submission, this is by no means any blocker.

We encourage using the latest versions where possible, but if known
breakage is on the roadmap, there's little point in updating until
upstream fixed it - afterall, I even consider it a good sign that you
spotted the regression and hold back on updating it.

On the other hand, ports stuck at a specific version without updates in
sight tend to be removed after longer periods of time without updates.

> NetBSD has a port of the  newest version of this software. It looks like
> it wasn’t properly tested because they use no patches in their port
> yet produce PowerPC binaries. This is unconfirmed however because I
> don’t use NetBSD.
Reach out to them and ask.