Hi Daniel,
On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 10:11:11AM -0400, Daniel Dickman wrote:
> > On Aug 27, 2020, at 6:55 AM, Dima Pasechnik <d...@sagemath.org> wrote:
> >
> > The latest pari version is 2.11.4, in the meantime.
> >
> > How can I help to make this update happen?
> > I can certainly post an update to 2.11.4 here,
> > and volunteer to maintain it, if needed.
>
> Hi Dima, the good news is that the latest version of pari is already
> committed to the tree. See the git mirror for example:
>
> https://github.com/openbsd/ports/commits/master/math/pari
Thanks, that's very good news.

> However shared library support would still be welcome per the threads
> you???re looking at. Do you need that for what you???re working on?

We build a Python extension which uses libpari, namely
https://github.com/sagemath/cypari2 (might be used on its own, in fact).
The latter needs a single-threaded dynamic libpari (single-threaded as Pari's
threads are hard, if not impossibe,  to get to collaborate with other
multithreading libs).

I'll have a look at building it.

We also need pari's packages (https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/packages.html) -
but these should not be hard to package, it's just data.

> Out of interest, are you looking at latest in the openbsd repo? Where are
> looking that you don???t see what???s in the tree?

I use a stable ports tree --- the system is used for other things, not just
development,
so I didn't even know it's there :-)
Moreover, ports were installed from a tarball. I just switched to CVS, and,
sure enough, I see pari 2.11.2 (not 4) now.

Dima