I'm not for a total ban on SUV's. I kinda like the old models, but I'm
not crazy about having 20 of em to one car on every road hiway biway
expressway I'm on.

As more and more people buy them, the driving skills go way down. People
who have no idea how to drive these behemouths, jump behind the wheel,
turn on all 20 headlights, charge up like a rhino right on your ass and
then swerve and crash in the snow cos they think "hey, they drive these
Expeditions up mountians in the commercials: that snow bank is nuthin!"
After the last huge snowstorm, I heard truckers laughing about SUV's who
sped by them on the interstate, only to end up upside down in the ditch
later. News reports had Chicago littered with stuck SUV's, as their
owners learned that they don't know how to drive em in bad weather, and
that most of the new models can't hack rough driving conditions. This
led to the auto industry insisting their vehicals were safe and rugged.
An industry known for its honesty. Course, the newer SUV's are built for
luxury, not for actual four wheeling, so that people can cart around
their grocery bags surrounded by plush leather, 10 speaker 14 cd
changer, etc and are far from able to handle rough terrain, especially
when driven by a certified moron of a soccor mom with a car phone in one
hand and a mascara pen in the other, while a cup of Starbucks Cappacino
Lite w Goat Milk Steam balances on her leg as she dashes impatiently to
Target, running down your ass cos you dare to drive somewhere around the
speed limit. Meanwhile, stats are showing that these monsters are
killing people more and more, not the drivers of the SUV's, of course,
who are safely cushioned behind all that good old American Steel, but
yes, people like those of us who think life on the road is complete with
a Ford Escort Wagon. And with more SUV's being sold by owners, they are
bought used by younger drivers, more prone to vehicular stupidity, thus
increasing accidents and spreading mayhem ads they traverse the rough
terrain between the malls and suburbs. Now Ford is coming out with a 19
foot long monster called the "Excursion." Coming to a parking lot near
you, where they -duh- won't fit into a standard parking place. But as
long as it's good American Steel....
I also hate those new big pickups, which are now considered luxury
transportation. Why have a pick up if you're gonna keep the bed sealed
with a cover? Which most everyone of these Ram pickups have. Why buy it
if you ain't gonna use it? This current rage is doomed, of course, as
soon as gas prices start edging back up. Then all your fine American
Steel (made in another country, most likely) will be rusting in used car
lots, as people realize it's impossible to keep up the payments (course,
they're all leased, another fraud encouraged by the auto industry so we
have to keep buying new cars: say no to leasing and keep your car
awhile: that's the true American way!) and buy the gas. The simple fact
that most people drive SUV's in conditions that far from warrant their
use (you don't need 4 wheel drive in central Ohio), they drive them just
cos the Jone's next door have one, shows that one thing you can say
about our country is that we don't learn a damn thing, we just keep
trucking on, oblivious to anything but the here and now and what's mine
and get the hell out of my way.