I'm currently running a mail server, for my own use, on a VPS (Postfix +Dovecot+Procmail on Gentoo). I've been toying with the idea of moving back to a shared host though, mostly because I'm not sure what level of skill is necessary to really run my own internet facing server, and if I have that level of skill (I don't really care if my website gets hacked; but I'd be rather disturbed if all my email suddenly became public information).

I'm running on a VPS mostly because I wasn't happy with the email solutions being provided by any other providers, except for a few who wanted a bulk purchase at a price I couldn't justify. I am a fairly heavy mail user; but a fairly light user in pretty much all other services. (I barely get any hits on my websites....)

What are my chances, as a relative newbie? (I've run servers before, but usually behind a firewall and on a network administered by someone else.) At the moment, I haven't even put a webserver on the VPS because I'm afraid it will raise the risk profile to my server. =\

Any advice?  What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Neil.

(While I know list etiquette is generally to send your replies to everyone; I have no objection to off-list replies if you prefer.)