Terry Carmen wrote:
Don't do that. Once you've accepted a message, it's yours. Aside from
anything else, it makes you look bad when someone sends a legitimate
email that happens to "look" spammy and you bounce it back as spam.

Right, I'm trying to correct that problem. This wasn't much of an issue when I first set up this server. None of my addresses or domains were known to the spammers and as a result, I sent very very little backscatter. That's changed now and I need to rethink things.

One of my clients HOLDs spammy messages for manual inspection by the
postmaster, then releases or deletes it.

This is a great idea! I didn't think of this at all but this idea will definitely solve the problem for the interim until I can design and QA a new server. I've just set it to forward spammy messages to a mailbox where I'll review and release messages.

You just about have to use an RBL or you'll get creamed. However
before sending it to the RBL, reject everything possible using less (processor/network) expensive methods like rdns verification and
regular expressions. See "Re:RBL" on this list for more information.

I'm reading the postfix pages on this now. I didn't know postfix had this many knobs for RBL stuff. I will try it!

I have no before-queue scanner. I reject everything possible based on
the senders IP, existence of an rdns entry and some regular
expressions (see  Re:RBL"). Anything that makes it past there is
never rejected or bounced, no matter what. It either goes to the
final recipient or is deleted based on corporate policy (chain
letters, porn, etc.)

Nice! I've been relying on bayesian scanning for the most part. Althought, passing everything concerns me a bit but if the RBL's work, then I think I should be in the clear. This one really underlines the fact that I'm the one that's creating my own problem.

-Chris