On 12/15/2008, Roland Plüss (rol...@rptd.ch) wrote:
>> Oh... and this is why I put all of my customizations for postfix at the
>> very end of the file, in its own block... then, even if something slips
>> in above, my custom settings will override it.
>>
>> But, I am always very careful when running etc-update - its too easy to
>> goof...

> I do the same. But it managed to smuggle that line into the sasl block
> before the ldap block. I tend to reject changes to this config file by
> default. Must have been a "trivial merge" case that kicked in there. But
> whatever... not the first time something like this happened but usually
> the config fails to load then.

A 'trivial merge' will never overwrite your custom settings if you have
them in your own separate section at the very bottom of the file. This
entire block will always be seen as 'foreign', and etc-update will want
to replace it (with nothing). I've been through 3 years of updates (some
major) with my config file like this, so I know...

--

Best regards,

Charles