On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 02:13:55PM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

> > One minor nit in the document, it uses "xargs" to collect a file list for
> > "tar", but the file list may be too long for one command invocation:
> >
> >     % cd INSTALL_ROOT
> >     % rm -f SOMEWHERE/outputfile
> >     % find . \! -type d -print | xargs tar cf SOMEWHERE/outputfile
> >     % gzip SOMEWHERE/outputfile
> >
> > With "tar c", only the last batch of files are in the tar archive. The
> > command should be "tar rf" not "tar cf".
>
> On what systems does the list exceed the NCARGS command length limit?

xargs(1) does not use "NCARGS", rather it uses various smaller limits:

        (
            exec 2>/dev/null
            for i in 1 10 100 1000
            do
                printf -- "--- %d ---\n" $i
                yes $(printf "%0${i}d" 0) | head -n1 | wc
                yes $(printf "%0${i}d" 0) | head -n10000 |
                    xargs echo 2>/dev/null | head -1 | wc
            done
        )

    RHEL 3.0: ~24k input buffer: