On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 12:19:26PM -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Monday, February 09, 2009 12:57 PM -0500 Victor Duchovni
> <victor.ducho...@morganstanley.com> wrote:
>
>>     <http://www.postfix.org/PACKAGE_README.html>
>
> And just to confirm, the steps here worked beautifully, thank you. :)
>
> I did have to use an install root of /../ since it won't take /.  I build
> with a prefix of /opt/zimbra/postfix-<version> already, so it kept
> installing into /opt/zimbra/postfix-<version>/opt/zimbra/postfix-<version>
> and /opt/zimbra/postfix-<version>/opt/zimbra/data/spool/postfix.
>
> It would be nice if there was someway for it to recognize it was already
> built with a prefix, so no need to go down multiple layers.  But I have an
> easily working solution to it. :)

This is easily solved with symbolic links:

        $ ln -s / /some/where/.root
        postfix-install  install_root=/some/where/.root ...

Also, you can use custom installation parameters when installing,
and them "postconf -e" to updat them back to the correct paths.

        postfix-install ... \
            config_directory=/etc \
            command_directory=/sbin \
            html_directory=/html \

This will put everything directly under the install-root. The resulting
main.cf will record these installation parameters, so you update them with
"postconf -c /some/where/ -e ...." after the install. Update both the
config_directory and daemon_directory copies to put back the compile-time
defaults for all the parameters.

In any case, main.cf installation is a tricky business, since you MUST
not clobber existing main.cf files from users, and potentially need to
support installation into user-selected $command_directory, ... taking
all the locations from the existing main.cf. The only thing the user
can't move is the default config_directory (/etc/postfix in may cases).

--
        Viktor.