On 3/4/2009 1:57 PM, Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
Robert A. Ober wrote:
On 3/4/2009 1:06 PM, Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
Robert A. Ober wrote:

On 3/4/2009 12:32 PM, Robert A. Ober wrote:

On 3/4/2009 11:54 AM, Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:

FYI: saslauthd is Cyrus not Dovecot

Right and that means the type is Cyrus?

Robert

You seem to have had Cyrus working, but want to break it to try to use
Dovecot.

This thread is going in circles and I am not understanding what you
ultimately want done.

Postfix can use EITHER Cyrus or Dovecot.
You REALLY should review SASL_README before asking for any more help.

Brian

Cyrus never allowed me to retrieve email via pop3.  I have read the
SASL_README.  Please understand I am not the expert you folks are and
am very tired and distraught.

One of the howto's said to use Dovecot + sasl  install cyrus-sasl, so
I did.  Dovecot-auth is running.  Should I kill that?  If so, how
without killing Dovecot?

Cyrus' saslauthd is not used by Dovecot what so ever.  Any HOWTO that
says otherwise is a HOW(not)TO.
Some here will testament that the official docs are the place to review
first as some HOWTOs become outdated quickly or are just poor.
If I want Dovecot for pop3/imap without cyrus-sasl,  what do I install
for sasl and where is the doc for that?  Before I was forced to
reload, I had no SASL and pop-before-smtp let pop3 work.
Dovecot has it's own auth daemon (called dovecot-auth) which you refer to

The sections http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_sasl and
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_dovecot
are usually all it takes to configure Dovecot SASL.
Any other additions may not work.

Does the /var/spool/postfix/private/auth socket exist and accessible to
the Postfix user?

I currently have pop3 working offsite with OL2007 and Thunderbird.
OL2003 and OLXP get relay access denied when sending.  I want to cure
the relay access denied for OLXP and OL2003.  I have supported many
products including some for corporate users but my understanding of
how Postfix works is limited.
Again, this is commented in the SASL_README when it talks about
broken_sasl_auth_clients

Brian

Ok, had a short nap, uninstalled cyrus-sasl and followed the SASL_README. And it works. The other docs had confused me into thinking I needed cyrus-sasl.

Thanks to Brian and others for hanging in there with me!

Y'all have some fun,
Robert:-)