LuKreme wrote:
On 14-Mar-2009, at 13:02, mouss wrote:
test the connection manually:

$ telnet yourserv 587
EHLO yourclienthostname
QUIT

Right, I do know that. Sorry if I wasn't clear, my only point was that what was actaully logged under submit was not useful and expressing disappointment that there wasn't something like "TLS failed" "AUTH failed" or "Hey, dumbass, you forgot to create a valid cert". Something along those lines.

The logging is the same. You can increase logging with debug_peer_list, but it's not clear that will help... Setting smtpd_tls_log_level = 1 will show if the client established TLS.

But you should really be testing with telnet and openssl s_client before you start testing with a MUA.

Turn off TLS and test AUTH with a telnet session. Use openssl s_client just to test TLS connectivity - if you get the 220 greeting banner TLS is working correctly.

The instructions at
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#quick-start
are about the simplest for setting up a self-signed certificate that will work with postfix. Follow them carefully. You can distribute the cacert.pem root public key so others can verify your cert, but that isn't usually necessary; they can just click the "trust this server" or whatever in their mail client after the initial "untrusted certificate" message.

  -- Noel Jones