Peter Wienemann via Postfix-users:
> Hi Viktor,
>
> On 2024-01-02 18:13:22 +0100, Viktor Dukhovni via Postfix-users wrote:
> > That said, indeed the documentation is not explicit on this point, one
> > has to read "between the lines".  If your technical writing skills are
> > adequate, perhaps you could suggest some concise and clear text
> > explaining the semantics.
> >
> > This would need to be added to smtp(8), transport(5) and postconf(5),
> > with multiple affected parameters in the last case.
>
> here are my suggestions (I hope I provided enough existing context to
> make it clear where to insert the new text):
>
> smtp(8):
> The Postfix SMTP+LMTP client supports multiple destinations separated
> by comma or whitespace (Postfix 3.5 and later). Delivery is tried in the
> specified order. For each individual destination the delivery rules of
> RFC 5321, Section 5.1 are applied.

Unfortunately this says that RFC 5321 applies to LMTP deliveries,
and it ignores the possibility that SRV record lookups have been
enabled. I will keep the text that delivery is tried in the specified
order.

> transport(5):
> This tries to deliver to bar.example (following the rules of RFC 5321,
> Section 5.1) before trying to deliver to foo.example.

Here I think that the original text is more clear than the updated
text, which again implies that RFC 5321 applies to LMTP, and ignores
the possibility of SRV record lookups or [] MX overrides.

Clearly, it is not desirable to enumerate all the SMTP client's
email delivery strategies here. Those strategies are orthogonal to
the issue of multiple destinations, and they do not belong here.

> postconf(5):
> Multiple destinations are supported in Postfix 3.5 and later. In this
> case delivery is tried in the specified order. For each individual
> destination the rules of RFC 5321, Section 5.1 are applied.

Same problem. The text "delivery is tried in the specified order"
is correct, the thext that follows is incomplete or misleading.

> What I do not like about the above suggestions is the fact that the MX
> lookup part of RFC 5321 is skipped if the [] notation is used. Thus
> strictly speaking the rules of RFC 5321 are only partially followed in
> that case. But since the user explicitly requested Postfix to skip MX
> lookup in those cases, I hope that the above additions introduce more
> clarity than confusion.

There are many cases where MX lookup is not desirable. The most
common cases are the submiossion submoissions/smtps services; the
less common case is SRV lookups.

        Wietse