Wietse Venema:
> Melvyn Sopacua:
> > On Friday 17 April 2009 01:23:20 Wietse Venema wrote:
> > > Juan Antonio Cuesta:

> > > Instead of a local file, use LDAP or SQL (with replicated database).
> >
> > If other then performance, why replicated?
>
> Availability.
>
> > Also, any technical objections against moving shared files into an nfs
> > mounted
> > directory and adjusting main.cf to look there?
>
> NFS is not suitable for write-sharing. It is OK only for sharing
> read-only files, or when there is a single writer who is also the
> sole reader.

In case this gets mis-interpreted: I was talking about NFS sharing
files that are overwritten, or that are updated in place.

Maildir does not have the above problems. It does not overwrite
files, and it does not update files in place - rather it writes a
file first in a different place and then atomically hardlinks the
file into its final place.

Mailbox files, on the other hand, are usually overwritten, and they
are updated in place.  This almost works reliably, especially if
you use dotlock files and turn off NFS attribute caching.