On Thursday 28 May 2009 14:41:30 Marcio Merlone wrote:

> That would be great, I have some servers wich sends nothing but
> administrative mails to me, logcheck, crontab, such annoying things.
> They need nothing more than a bare bones MTA wich is able to send mails
> to a relay host.

Debian has ssmtp which was written to do something like this.

However I think it is "too simple" being as such a tool needs a queue for the
emails root sends when the network is down (or maybe you regard that
as "first cause analysis" :-).

As a result I used postfix on such boxes because the Debian package can be
persuaded to do a suitable "listen on localhost and forward to smarthost"
config via debconf so no editting of config files.

But it does feel like overkill, and doesn't support some common configurations
easily, so I'm open to better ideas.

"Common configurations" would be = can forward to SMTP submission host using
SMTP over SSL, and/or other ways of submitting to an account keeping the
password encrypted (think mobile linux device queuing up system emails to
send via regular email submission account when it next gets net access).

Meanwhile I guess lots of minuscule postfix installs will have to do.