On 18-Aug-2009, at 10:42, Noel Jones wrote:
The STRESS_README was written before postfix supported 521 as a hangup action, so yes, it's reasonable to disconnect after any RBL hit during stress.

I am somewhat hesitant to recommend using 521 as your "standard" RBL reject code since the RFCs don't specifically mention 521/disconnect as a valid code (421/disconnect is mentioned as a special case). On the other hand, clients "MUST" interpret any 5xx code as a permanent reject. This hasn't been widely tested and there's just enough wiggle room here that it's possible some clients will behave badly. But it's probably fine.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go ahead with it since only about 5% of my mail hits the RBL anyway.

in rbl_relay_maps does each possible IP have to have a separate block is there a way to 'wild card' them all into one declaration? and are the line feeds shown in the example significant?

something like:
zen.spamhaus.org=127.0.0.* 521 4.7.1 Service unavailable;
 $rbl_class [$rbl_what] blocked using
 $rbl_domain${rbl_reason?; $rbl_reason}

(obviously that's not going to be the syntax, but is there a way to combine 4-11 of even 2-11 into one declaration?)

--
showing snuffy is when Sesame Street jumped the shark