Wietse Venema put forth on 11/30/2009 3:56 PM:

>> The cost of a modern plenty powerful (CPU/memory) 1U server with a
>> couple of fast sata disks is around $1000-2000, paid _once_ with no
>> recurring licensing fees as all the software is FOSS, with minimal power
>> usage, maybe $100/year.  What's the license + maintenance cost of any of
>> these commercial A/V solutions for *nix/Postfix?  I'm just betting the
>> commercial A/V outlay is probably more than a 2nd box, especially over
>> 3-5 years.  No?
>
> I think that there is no need to be hostile towards commercial
> solutions (or, at least, to hold IT solutions to different standards
> than other all the other things that we are paying for without
> getting upset).

My apologies if my tone seemed hostile.  Such was not intended.  I am in
no way against commercial (paid) software.  There is some very good paid
software out there, many for which there is no FOSS equivalent.  I was
merely pointing out that in the OP's case, it would likely be cheaper to
just add another Postfix box, and sticking to software he is already
familiar with.  We know this is a proven, no gotcha, scaling solution.

I am always skeptical of commercial vendors who lurk on the support
lists for FOSS products (skepticism != hostility).  Especially if said
vendors offer no software that integrates with said FOSS product, but
are merely attempting to devour the weak stragglers of the pack,
convincing/converting them to paid solutions that may or may not be
superior or in the best interest of the OP.

In Mike's defense, he's not hard selling on this list and being a pest.
 Though if he was you'd probably boot him, so I'm not sure how much of
this is self control. ;)  No offense Mike.

--
Stan