Hello:

  I maintain for a large client a Postfix/MySQL installation that
archives certain messages required to be held for compliance with
lawsuits and employment litigation.  Postfix accepts mail from the
corporate mail server and delivers the message via a pipe alias to an
application that is then inserting the message into the database.
Recently for a large litigation matter, all mail at this company (300k
messages/day) was required to be held.  The server is mostly doing
fine, but I have noticed that during peak delivery times Postfix will
queue large amounts of mail and be slow at delivering it to the
script/database -- sometimes queueing mail all the way to the weekend,
when things are less busy.  I've watched the time it takes from
Postfix opening the application and sending the data and each message
is taking ~0.003 seconds.  It seems that if I could coax Postfix into
sending more messages to that pipe I wouldn't have queueing issues
during work days.

  I've tuned the concurrency_limits from their defaults upward in
steps of 5 (up to 36 now) without much luck -- I only ever seem to be
able to achieve ~5 deliveries per second. I'd appreciate any guidance
the gurus have to offer.  FWIW, it's 2.4.3 on Mac OS X Server 10.5.

Thanks,
Wendy