Wendigo Thompson:
> Okay, I have some updates.  Reducing the concurrency down (and
> ultimately to 1) increased performance: it seems the delays I was
> seeing were related to concurrency inside SQL.  However, I am still
> seeing half second delays in local delivery while my insertion
> application is showing ~.003s processing times.  I was able to verify
> that it's not my insertion application by making a simple script that
> soft-bounces mail (exit code 75) and does nothing else -- there's
> still a half a second delay on action.  Tracing the individual
> processes is proving to be a challenge as this is an Apple system and
> dtruss can only be run as root.  Any tips?

It is perhaps good to be aware that my support is limited to Postfix.
It ends once Postfix hands off the message to another program, be it
over a network or on the same machine.

You need to determine why /usr/bin/db_capture is taking a long time.

Run /usr/bin/db_capture by hand, with the same command-line arguments
as when it is invoked by Postfix, and with a prepared email message
from file.

    /usr/bin/db_capture arguments.... < prepared-message-file

Where the prepared-message-file has the form that Postfix emits: