Hi,

Thanks for the help. Ok here is a little more detail...

Postconf -n output

address_verify_map = btree:/var/lib/postfix/address_verify
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
bounce_queue_lifetime = 2d
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
disable_vrfy_command = yes
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
invalid_hostname_reject_code = 450
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
maps_rbl_reject_code = 450
maximal_queue_lifetime = 2d
mydestination = localhost.$mydomain, localhost
mydomain = domain.tld
myhostname = mail.domain.tld
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 172.16.1.0/16
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
non_fqdn_reject_code = 450
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = no
sample_directory = /etc/postfix
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = postdrop
smtp_helo_timeout = 120s
smtp_mail_timeout = 120s
smtp_rcpt_timeout = 120s
smtp_starttls_timeout = 120s
smtp_tls_CAfile = /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem
smtp_tls_cert_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
smtp_tls_key_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
smtp_tls_loglevel = 1
smtp_tls_security_level = may
smtp_tls_session_cache_database =
btree:/var/lib/postfix/smtp_tls_session_cache
smtpd_client_connection_count_limit = 5
        permit_multi_recipient_bounce,h_pipelining,
smtpd_helo_required = yes
        permit_unauth_destinationrmit_mynetworks
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks = $mynetworks
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_starttls_timeout = 120s
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem
smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = yes
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
smtpd_tls_dh1024_param_file = $config_directory/dh_1024.pem
smtpd_tls_dh512_param_file = $config_directory/dh_512.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_security_level = may
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database =
btree:/var/lib/postfix/smtpd_tls_session_cache
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
virtual_alias_maps = proxy:mysql:$config_directory/mysql/
mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
virtual_gid_maps = static:12
virtual_mailbox_base = /ml/vmail
virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:$config_directory/mysql/
mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:$config_directory/mysql/
mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
virtual_minimum_uid = 5000
virtual_transport = dovecot
virtual_uid_maps = static:5000

so i am running a virtual setup using mysql for maps. when i try to send an
email to root it gets sent to r...@mail.domain.tld, this email address
doesnt exist, it is a local root account, so i have setup an alias in
/etc/aliases which is root:     external_acco...@domain.tld but this doesnt
seem to be working. the mails just sit in  the mail queue not being
delivered to the local account. I hope this is enough information for people
to help me.

Hope someone can show me the error of my ways :) Thankyou in advance.

Kind Regards

Tony